Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For reason alone

Jean Pictet, in his commentary on The Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross points out the universal characteristics of humanitarianism:

The wellspring of the principle of humanity is in the essence of social morality which can be summed up in a single sentence, "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." This fundamental precept can be found, in almost identical form, in all the great religions, Brahminism, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism and Taoism. It is also the golden rule of the positivists, who do not commit themselves to any religion but only to the data of experience, in the name of reason alone.

3 comments:

brad4d said...

I tend to feel the best attitude (of observation) manifests as, "Others do not do unto others what would not be done to them."
How else would they know what to do?

Being president
has tortured Bush
revealing secrets
he thinks protected
projected paradoxically?

Bill Robertson said...

Very true ..my experience shows me that whatever I do to someone else ..I’m doing to myself ..better to see what I can do for someone else.

Bill Robertson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.