Thursday, September 17, 2009

Coming of Age


A shift of consciousness
The definition of oneself
From looking glass self
To introspective self-realization

Your opinion of me
Has nothing to do
With who I am.

Integrity is what we do
When no one is looking;
It is also what is found
Upon looking at ourselves –
But only when honesty is employed.

Happiness is smiling
When no one is around.
Generosity is giving
What you didn’t think you had.
Love is loving the one
Who doesn’t love you back
Simply because you love.

A shocking realization:
That I need no one
But want them just the same.
It means I no longer hurt
For lack of company,
But revel in community
And in humanity
And in myself.

2 comments:

Bill Robertson said...

I love this ..

~Silver said...

This is beautiful! I agree with Robertson, I love this poem, I really do. It's going under favorites list.