Friday, October 22, 2010

No Mind


A Samurai’s Creed
Anonymous, Circa 1300


I have no parents;

I make the heaven and earth my mother and father.

I have no home;

I make awareness my dwelling.

I have no life and death;

I make the tides of breathing my life and death.

I have no divine power;

I make honesty my divine power.

I have no means;

I make understanding my means.

I have no magic secrets;

I make character my magic secret.

I have no body;

I make endurance my body.

I have no eyes;

I make the flash of lightning my eyes.

I have no ears;

I make sensibility my ears.

I have no limbs;

I make promptness my limbs.

I have no strategy;

I make “unshadowed by thought” my strategy

I have no designs;

I make “seizing opportunity by the forelock” my design.

I have no miracles;

I make right action my miracle.

I have no principles;

I make adaptability to all circumstances my principles.

I have no tactics;

I make emptiness and fullness my tactics.

I have no talents;

I make ready wit my talent.

I have no friends;

I make my mind my friend.

I have no enemy;

I make carelessness my enemy.

I have no armor;

I make benevolence and righteousness my armor.

I have no castle;

I make immovable mind my castle.

I have no sword;

I make absence of self my sword.

.....

No comments: